Poldark Series 5, episode 3 aired on 28th July 2019 on the BBC in the UK. We were certainly treated to many stunning Cornish locations this week as the whole episode featured on events around the storyline in Cornwall.This blog post explains where the Cornwall filming locations can be found. If you are planning a trip to Cornwall soon then this will help you find these locations, and don’t worry if you have not seen this episode yet as there are no spoilers.
Here we go and with links to download our free maps showing the different locations…
- The first Cornish location shown is Botallack which is the fictional location of Wheal Jane. You will see this beautiful coastal spot as the place where Demelza is reading a letter and where she later meets with Ned Despard and some of the miners. For a free map showing the car park location and coastal path of this spectacular place click here.
The structure used as Wheal Jane at Botallack
- Demelza talks with Rosina Hoblyn and little Tommy in the fictional coastal village of Sawle, which is actually the Cornish filming location of Penberth Cove. More information about Penberth Cove including a free map can be found here.
- We are then treated to more breathtaking views of Botallack in the scene of Ross Poldark working at the mine head of Wheal Jane. More information about Botallack can be found here.
- More shots of Penberth Cove and the building and slipway hit our screens a few minutes later in the episode where we see Drake Carne and Tess Tregidden talking outside the blacksmiths and then Geoffrey Charles and Cecily Hanson join in the conversation. Also, it features in the scene where Demelza is talking with the miners.
The building used as Morwenna’s house at Penberth Cove
- The next location is sure to be an iconic scene for this series. The filming location of a cave at Holywell Bay, which features as the fictional location of Trebella Cove below the mine Wheal Plenty, certainly provides an exceptional location for this dramatic nail-biting scene. The cave is on the North cliffs and is big, as you can see from the below photograph, however, it is tidal so please do always check local tide times and lifeguard advice. For a free map of this area click here
- The coast path between Gwennap Head and Porthgwarra features many times in this episode showing scenes of village folk and miners running across the clifftops. To find the coast path and the best places to park in this area please click here
- There is a truly stunning aerial shot of the stacks at Bedruthan. Just as dramatic in real life, please click here to see a map showing this location.
- Then comes the scene that is featured in all of the trailers where Ross Poldark walks out of a cave holding a boy. This scene depicted events at the Poldark location of Trebella Cove, which was filmed at Holywell Bay. For a free map of this area click here
Inside the cave at Holywell Bay
- We see the exterior of Nampara Cottage at dusk, whilst George Warleggan walks across the fields. For more information about Nampara click here
- The nighttime shot of George standing on the clifftop at Gwennap Head is the final Cornwall filming location of this episode. To find the coast path and the best places to park in this area please click here
Read more about other episodes in this series. Here are the links to Episode 1 and Episode 2
That’s it for Episode 3. For more information on the filming locations used in the previous Series click the following link – Series 4
For lots more information about Poldark and really useful maps- follow this link https://freemapsofcornwall.co.uk/